We began the year with Stephen Malkmus’ marvellous Wig Out At Jag Bags and ended it yesterday with the equally engaging Pinkprint from Nicki Minaj, along the way reviewing all the major (and many not so major) album releases of 2014. It’s time for the State writing team to offer their top fifty records of the year and, as ever, we’re delighted to bring you as diverse a selection as you could wish for. Encouragingly – and completely in keeping with our own outlook – there’s a healthy slice of homegrown music on offer, proof that Ireland is still punching above our weight. Time to move forward now but, before we do, enjoy one last long, lingering look to the past twelve months….
33. The Hot Sprockets – Brother Nature
32. Royal Blood – Royal Blood
31. Catfish & The Bottlemen – The Balcony
30. Hamilton Leithauser – Black Hours
29. Kormac – Doorsteps
28. Warpaint – Warpaint
27. Taylor Swift – 1969
26. Malibu Shark Attack! – Malibu Shark Attack!