In July of this year, Damon Albarn gathered a team of producers and took off to the Congo to record an album.
T-E-E-D (Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs), Dan The Automator, Jneiro Jarel, Richard Russell, Actress, Marc Antoine, Alwest, Remi Kabaka, Rodaidh McDonald and Kwes traveled with Albarn to the Democratic Republic of Congo where they recorded with local musicians over a five day period.
Accounts of the project have been journaled on this DRC Music Tumblr throughout, and now the first cuts from the album have been made available.
Kinshasa One Two will be released will be by Warp Records on September 30th in digital format with a CD/vinyl release to follow on 4th November – artwork and tracklisting below – proceeds of the record will go to Oxfam funding their charity work in DRC.
‘”Every day in DRC there are hundreds of thousands of people who need Oxfam’s support to access education, clean water, sanitation and basic hygiene. The situation here has been out of the media spotlight for too long. Not only will DRC Music shine a light on the incredible musical talent coming out of the country, it will raise much needed funds for Oxfam’s invaluable work here and focus the world’s attention on Congo once again, seeing it as a place of inspiration, creativity and hope.” Oxfam’s DRC Country Director, Pauline Ballaman
During their stay, Damon and co recorded with 50 Congolese artists and performers, here’s a short film insight:
- ‘Hallo’ featuring Tout Puissant Mukalo and Nelly Liyemge
- ‘K-Town’ featuring N’Gotshima and Bebson
- ‘African Space Anthem (A.S.A)’ featuring Ewing Sima of Tout Puissant Mukalo
- ‘Love’ featuring Love
- ‘Lingala’ featuring Bokatola System and Evala Litongo
- ‘Lourds’ featuring Yende Bongongo of Okwess International
- ‘Respect’ Of The Rules featuring Loi X Liberal
- ‘We Come From The Forest’ featuring Bokatola System
- ‘Customs’ featuring Bokatola System
- ‘Virginia’ featuring Magakala Virginia Yollande and Yowa Hollande
- ‘Ah Congo’ featuring Jupiter Bokondji and Bokatola System
- ‘Three Piece Sweet part 1 &2’ featuring Bebson
- ‘If You Wish to Stay Awake’ featuring Washiba
- ‘Departure’ featuring Bokatola System
Main photo by Simon Phipps.