A tribute album to John Martyn, Johnny Boy Would Love This has just been released and it features two discs of covers from the likes of Beck, Lisa Hannigan, long-time collaborator Phil Collins, Snow Patrol, Bombay Bicycle Club, The Swell Season , Beth Orton and The Cure’s Robert Smith.
The release will also include a DVD with interviews, special John Martyn performances and a music video. All proceeds from the record will go to Martyn’s family.
John Martyn spent the latter part of his life in Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny but before that he was known his folk music style which incorporated blues, jazz, reggae. His most well-known album was 1973’s Solid Air. He died in 2009. See the Guardian Obituary for more.
To celebrate John’s Birthday and to raise funds for The John Martyn Trust Fund, John’s band will be playing a gig at Carroll’s Bar, Thomastown, Kilkenny on Saturday 10th September. Guests include artists from the tribute album such as Glen Hansard, Ultan Conlon and more. Tickets for this event are on sale from from Carrolls Bar in Thomastown for €15.
- David Gray – Let The Good Things Come
- Clarence Fountain and Sam Butler – Glorious Fool
- Robert Smith -Small Hours
- Beck – Stormbringer
- Ted Barnes (featuring Gavin Clark) – Over The Hill
- The Swell Season – I Don’t Wanna Know
- The Emperors Of Wyoming – Bless The Weather
- Lisa Hannigan – Couldn’t Love You More
- Vetiver – Go Easy
- Skye Edwards – Solid Air
- Cheryl Wilson – You Can Discover
- Joe Bonamassa – The Easy Blues
- Sonia Dada – Dancing
- Sabrina Dinan – Certain Surprise
- Paolo Nutini – One World.
- Snow Patrol – May You Never
- Beth Orton – Go Down Easy
- Bombay Bicycle Club – Fairytale Lullaby
- Syd Kitchen – Fine Lines
- Vashti Bunyan – Head And Heart
- Morcheeba – Run Honey Run
- Nicholas Barron – Angeline
- John Smith – Walk To The Water
- Judy Tzuke – Hurt In Your Heart
- Jim Tullio – Road To Ruin
- Oh My God – John Wayne
- The Blackships – Rope Soul’d
- Ultan Conlon – Back To Stay
- Brendan Campbell – Anna
- Phil Collins – Tearing And Breaking.